Location: Quest Business and Conference Center, 8405 Pulsar Place, Columbus, OH 43240.
Deadline to submit proposals EXTENDED: Friday, January 19, 2018, 5 p.m.
The SOA 2018 Program Committee seeks a broad array of creative proposals, sessions and posters, related to archival work today and into the future. All proposal topics are welcome.
Possible ideas include, but are not limited to:
- Presentations or discussions of longstanding institutional projects or collections in accordance with the ‘50 year anniversary’ theme
- Tools for archival discovery, maintenance, and/or marketing
- Outreach and instruction efforts
- Student, intern, and volunteer experiences and projects
- Unique collection development ventures
- Preservation, description, and access to analog, born-digital, or hybrid collections
- Panel Sessions – Two to four speakers present on a common theme.
- Poster Presentations – Report in which information is summarized using brief written statements and graphic materials, such as photographs, charts, graphs, and/or diagrams mounted on poster board. Presenters will be assigned a specific time at which they must be with their poster to discuss it with attendees.
- Debate – Moderator announces the topic, and two other people debate. May include more than one topic and additional debaters.
- Fishbowl – Speakers sit in a circle of chairs on stage — the bowl—and the audience sits in concentric circles around them. The speakers are then asked to talk to each other by answering a series of directed questions. In an open fishbowl, one chair is left empty and audience members can rotate through, adding their take on the topic.
- Lightning – Presentations may be from 3 to 10 minutes long, with the time allotted depending on the number of presenters. May or may not include slides or images.
- Mini-Workshop – session teaching a skill or concept through hands-on activity.
- Pecha Kucha – Each presentation consists of 20 slides or images displayed for 20 seconds each, with comment. Each presentation lasts 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
- World Café – consists of multiple presentations/conversations going on at separate tables, with attendees given the opportunity to rotate between them every 20 minutes.
- Other session formats that encourage interaction between presenters and attendees
All sessions will have an assigned member of the Program Committee to provide introductions, and, as needed, to moderate.
- Session title and intended format
- 250-word abstract describing the session/poster and how it will be of interest to SOA attendees
- 150-words session description for use in the printed program
- Main contact’s information and any other participants
- A/V or technology requirements
- Any additional special needs
Proposals will be evaluated on clarity, originality, diversity of content and speaker representation, and completeness of proposal and presenters. We encourage proposals from students*, new professionals*, first time presenters and attendees, as well as individuals from related professions, including those from outside of Ohio.
Please complete the proposal form by Friday, January 19, 2017, 5 p.m. at https://goo.gl/forms/mC1m8d2rr5XqrGcD2
*Scholarships are available to students (2 awards), and new archival professionals (2 awards). Read more about it in this link: http://www.ohioarchivists.org/scholarships-available-to-students-and-new-archival-professionals/
More meeting details will appear as they develop at: http://www.ohioarchivists.org/annual_conference/
Stacey Lavender (email@example.com) or Collette McDonough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cochairs, Society of Ohio Archivists Educational Programming Committee