Adrian Dominican Sisters Motherhouse Campus Adrian, Michigan
The Dominican Sisters of Adrian, a Congregation of about 640 vowed women religious and more than 200 Associates, traces its roots back to St. Dominic in the 13th century. The Sisters minister in 22 states and in the Dominican Republic, Norway, and the Philippines. The Congregation’s Vision is to “seek truth, make peace, reverence life.”
Position Available: Congregation Archivist
The Congregation Archivist is responsible for organizing, preserving and protecting the records which pertain to the origin, history, spirit, life and growth of the Congregation. The Archivist is responsible for the acquisition, assessment, processing and reference, preservation, records management, planning, budget preparation and management, security, search and retrieval systems, as well as related community outreach.
- Establishes and maintains policies and procedures for professional administration of the Archives.
- Plans and implements the annual goals, objectives and budget for the Archives.
- Applies professional archival and records management practices for the use and management of the archival collections.
- Works with Communications staff to create and maintain an archives component on the Congregation website.
- Ensures that the Archives’ finding tool, technology, and software are up to date.
- Responds to requests from Congregation Leadership and others.
- Applies best-practice standards for receiving, accessioning, cataloguing, storing and displaying items of historical value pertaining to the life and mission of the Congregation.
- Oversees environmental protection of archival materials, including storage systems, temperature and humidity levels, security and conservation procedures.
- Oversees development of exhibits, including research, text, exhibit design and installation.
- Recruits, trains, and oversees volunteers and other staff as applicable.
- Digitizes audio-visual collections.
- Master Degree in Archives and Records Management or Library Science or with a concentration in archival work preferred. Bachelor Degree required.
- Certified Archivist qualification from the Academy of Certified Archivists preferred.
- Three to five years experience in archival work. Minimum of three years experience in administration or management. Knowledge and experience in records management, research, systems management, cataloging, and preservation standards relative to archival work.
- Knowledge, skills and experience in software and other computer applications appropriate for strengthening and expanding computerized data retrieval and archival services; knowledge of best practices for digital preservation and digitization.
- Ability to learn, understand and support the Adrian Dominican Mission and Values.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to function independently with flexibility and personal integrity.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a timely manner.
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk up to 8 hours per day
- Must be able to stoop, bend, reach and carry approximately 20 pounds
- Generally quiet office area with frequent times of interruption
- Full time hours, Monday through Friday
- Medical, dental and vision insurance available to purchase after 60 days of employment
- Congregation paid life, short term and long term disability coverage
- Defined benefit pension plan funded by the Congregation after 1 year of employment
- Paid time off and paid holidays
Interested candidates may apply by visiting